Wednesday, March 4, 2009

24 Idiocy

after watching this week’s episodes of 24 on hulu.com I must confess to a total loss of faith in the series. Let us leave aside the presence of Jon Voight -- an actor I cannot stand -- slurping Chinese food into his maw. And also ignore the mortal danger to two characters I like, Aaron Pierce and Bill Buchanan. At this point, the quickest way to get me to drop this series would be to put a bullet in Pierce’s brain (despite the fact that I do find his charge, the President’s daughter, hot enough to take the paint off the walls).

Do I really need to tell you why I find this latest plot twist so ridiculous? Suspending disbelief is one thing, but come on! We live in a world where Constitutional rights do not apply within a mile of a Vice-Presidential Candidate!!!!! I have long argued that we spend far too much money, and sacrifice far too many of our civil liberties, to protect the President’s life. No one holds a gun to the heads of Presidential aspirants, and the Constitution spells out the terms of Presidential succession well enough for the country to endure an assassination. But the shield around the President is there, and anyone who has even a casual acquaintance with the Presidency knows it is there. The producers of 24, then, do a great disservice to their audience by pretending that this attack would get anywhere near the President.

No comments:

Post a Comment